Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Get Yer Programs Here!

Finally, I work on my programs. I was inspired by Miss Spaniel's programs on Weddingbee and decided to do a tiered program. I first ordered the thicker cardstock paper for the backing.

I ordered them from a site called Paper-Papers, which I stumbled upon with a google search.

I was really happy with the color and service from Paper-Papers. The shipping was like, 2 days (granted, they're located in Gary Indiana, which is just outside Chicago and only about 2 hours from here.) They sent a few paper samples as well, and the packaging was good. I expected to be disappointed - I hate buying sight-unseen - but even the color was perfect. I ordered 75 pieces which equals 150 programs. I'm expecting about 100 guests at the church, but it was so affordable I figured I was better safe than sorry.

I designed the program pages in Photoshop Elements and made a mock up. I cut the cardstock in half so it was 4.25 x 11 inches. I then scored it 1 inch down, and measured for design purposes. Here's the cover I came up with:

I did one staple in the program to hold it together but it was a little noticeable. I then glued the green flap down. The glue stick didn't hold it well though (thus the binder clips.) Any glue suggestions, DIY people!?

First is a list of all wedding party members. There are my 5 (missing Bridesmaid S, unfortunately) and Mr Pug's 6. Then we have the 3 ushers, 2 greeters (my two friends who are coming besides the bridal party) and 2 readers (Mr Pug's sister and our mutual friend L.)

Then there is a family page. I have our family members listed (MOTB, MOTG, FOTG, Step-MOTGs, and Grandmothers OTG.) After that I simply wrote "With us in spirit" and listed those who cannot be with us, including my Dad, my uncle, all my grandparents, and Mr Pug's grandfathers. Last are the acknowledgments where we thank people who have been integral like Mr Pug's aunt, and my uncle (who is walking me down the aisle.)

After looking at the pages assembled, I thought that there was a bit too much green on the cover. I changed the file to have more black on the cover instead.

When I figure out how to glue the flap down better, I'll do two hole punches in the top and tie a black and white ribbon in a bow.

All I have left is to design the ceremony page. I don't have the exact itinerary for the ceremony down yet, but after I meet with our church's planner I can get it down on paper.

What style of program will you be using (or did you use) for your ceremony? Am I missing anything vital?

17 comments:

  1. Wow, those turns out really great. Well done!

    I love unique programs like yours, but since I'm still on the fence about even having programs, I don't have the energy to put in that much effort. But, if we do end up having programs, we'll probably go with something that can double as a fan for our mid-summer afternoon, outdoor wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those look really good! I'm terrible at designing paper things like this, which makes me even MORE amazed at how great your DIY projects turn out! We're doing a fan program, but can't do much until we make more progress on the music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, will you do my programs for me?? I have ZERO (actually, less than zero) desire to do them. These look really, really great, hun. I have no idea what I'm doing for mine. I'm thinking of using the idea Miss Sewing had yesterday (or maybe it was today...can't remember). Anyway, love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job...these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job! You could always staple and then hole punch and run a ribbon through :o) Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really, really good! Way better than mine. ;) AZ's idea is probably your best bet if you want to double-up, but the holes/ribbon works surprisingly well by itself. Or you can always try larger eyelets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look fantastic! You must be thrilled! I wish I had seen this before our wedding - it is such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great job! I would use one of those adhesive strip thingies (they look sort of like a white out roller).. or else you could use my fix-all handy dandy tool... GLUE DOTS!! lol i seriously think they'll fix everthing :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooo, these look amazing! i love the green, it really makes the programs pop! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking that you might not need to do the glue. Have you tried punching and tying without glue? I think with a good fold and punching the holes far enough apart it might be fine Kel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too think they may be ok without glue, just the ribbon. They look awesome miss pug! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe hole punch the top corners through the papers and run the ribbon across the top to hold it in place? I think you are way better at this DIY stuff than myself! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS - I just heard your commercial on X103 about an hour ago!! I SCREAMED at Brad!!!!! He thought I was crazy!!!! =P LOVED IT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Was trying to find a good picture of my wedding program - because it was similar to yours (tiered). We had the paper cut at Staples and then hole punched and tied with ribbon...I will keep looking but that is my suggestion! Love your program too though - papers are awesome, great color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love them! They look so great! I love the colors, the fonts and especially the way they are like little flaps all lined up sequentially. I am all about different and unique and I think you totally pulled that off. I am working on our programs right now, too. Just got the proofs back earlier this week and can't wait to blog about them sometime in the next couple weeks :) We are actually doing 'fan' programs. Excited about finishing this stuff up!

    ReplyDelete