Saturday, January 30, 2010

Six Years

Ok dudes, sorry to bring the mood down! But my mood is pretty down today so I'm dragging you all down with me.

Today is the six year anniversary of losing my Dad. I was a freshman in college, and he had a heart attack. He was gone by the time my Mom called me. It was a horrible miserable experience I don't wish on anyone, and while you learn to cope, it never ever gets any easier or hurts less.

Time to share some pictures... I like to reminisce and browse them on days like today, Father's Day, and his birthday.

Here I am with Dad right after I was adopted.

He had horrible fashion sense but we loved him anyway.

Even though I'm adopted, we really looked a lot alike.

Here's a bunch of us- my Dad with me (bottom), R (top), and M (right) on the first day of school.

Our Christmas card one year. Looks like sweatpants were contagious?

A family trip to Arizona my sophomore year of high school took us to Camelback Mountain. That was one heck of a hike.

This is my favorite picture (well one of them.) It was my Dad's 50th Birthday roast my senior year of high school. I made a list of the "Top Ten Things You Don't Want John to Say," things like "I can fix that!" and "I'm going to Home Depot." I've never been 100% sure, but I think he's giving me the finger! Which would be very typical of him.

This year is very hard because I so, so wish he was here for this big event in my life. I was the lucky one out of the three of us who got to have him there for our high school reunion. We all missed out on so many memories with him. I wish he had gotten a chance to meet Mr Pug - they would have had so much in common, from guitar and their love of music to their sense of humor.

I will never get to have him walk me down the aisle. I will never have a father/daughter dance. He'll never get to hold his (hypothetical, future) grandchildren. It's such a loss for us and everyone who should have known him.

So everyone, go hug your Dad! Take tons of pictures with him, since I didn't and wish I had. And please make sure your parents have life insurance. My Dad didn't, and it has made this tragedy even harder and sadder for all of us, and we're still feeling those effects six years later. I'll never take my important relationships for granted again and I hope you all won't either.

17 comments:

  1. You're in my thoughts today! Your dad sounds like he was an amazing man. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your loss :( My father died suddenly almost 3 years ago. It also changed my whole outlook on relationships and life. Thank you for sharing all of those beautiful pictures. It looks like you have some amazing memories with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl.. I just had to comment and tell you how sorry I am. I lost my dad in 2004 to cancer and some days it is unbearable to realize that he won't be there on my big day. Sharing your story and your pictures was really touching and I just wanted to say that I understand and I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw honey, I'm sorry :( I don't have a great relationship with my dad, but stories like yours make me realize that I should appreciate the fact that he's around. Thanks for reminding me of that...you and your fam are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KJ, this was a beautiful tribute to your dad, who sounds like a great, great man. I'm so sorry for your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss! It must be very hard on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey girl, I can't even begin to imagine what you went/are going through, but I'm so sorry for your loss. I know he'd be so proud of the woman you've become! I've been thinking about you today and I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I'm sorry Kel and I love you so much, you were in my thoughts today! And we both had our dad's 50th birthday our senior year of high school and we had a huge roast too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dad sounds like a great man; I'm sorry for your loss, but it's good that you have all these (and more) amazing memories. Trey lost his dad in 2002 to a sudden brain tumor, and it's hard for him to cope with days like this too. You're in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m so sorry for your loss, and my heart goes out to you today. Thanks for the reminder about what’s truly important in life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I almost lost my dad to cancer three years ago and it was the most terrifying prospect I've ever faced. I admire how strong you are about this and know 100% that he'll be with you on your wedding day in spirit. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear this . . . I lost my father a few years ago as well, and it's so hard going through all this wedding stuff without him. My father never met my fiance either, and it hurts so much. I take comfort in knowing that he would have loved the man I chose. I'm glad your fiance was able to cheer you up a bit today. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry for the loss of your father. Mr B lost his Dad 15 years ago and I know he missed him terribly at our wedding. I hate that I never got to meet him.

    It looks like he had a great life though. Those photos are lovely. He'll be there in spirit on your wedding day. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry Miss Pug! My heart goes out to you! He will definitely be with you on your wedding day, just like he is everyday. Thank you for the reminder to appreciate our loved ones

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh miss pug, i'm so sorry. thank you so much for sharing these pictures--he was obviously quite devoted to his family. and how cute are you, all bundled up after first coming home? thank you for the reminder to cherish what we have with our loved ones. i know your dad is very proud of you, and very happy for you and mr. pug.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry your Dad won't be there to walk you down the aisle, but I have not doubt he will be there in spirit, watching over you on your big day and smiling! I'm sure he is incredibly proud of his little girl!

    ReplyDelete